WHY WE SERVE
Americans in Support of Law Enforcement adds context and perspective to the public conversation on policing in the 21st century and addresses the issues most relevant to members of the law enforcement community and their supporters nationwide. We believe that supporting American law enforcement serves to defend the freedom, fairness, and individual liberties that America’s founding generation fought and died for and that today’s American law enforcement community strives to maintain at home.
WHY WE BELIEVE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT
In 1776, John Adams spoke of a Republic as an “Empire of Laws, and not of men.” In this description he laid forth one of the basic tenets of the great American experiment in freedom: The American Republic would be a nation conceived on the basis of individual liberty and the impartial rule of law, not upon the capricious whims of a tyrant.
Since the days of our nation’s founding, over a million Americans have died in defense of those freedoms, fighting in wars throughout the world. But here at home, an equally brave group of men and women risk their lives every day to maintain civil society and the rule of law: American law enforcement.
In dedicating the National Law Enforcement Officer’s Memorial in Washington, D.C., President George H.W. Bush remarked, “Carved on these walls is the story of America, of a continuing quest to preserve both democracy and decency, and to protect a national treasure that we call the American dream.”
With your support, we will continue to defend the men and women who work tirelessly to keep our neighborhoods safe and to maintain decency and democracy at home.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
— Edmund Burke
- To provide the public with a better understanding of the realities of policing in the 21st century
- To educate the public on the unique needs of the American law enforcement officer
- To provide vocal support for law enforcement and offer context and perspective to police related issues
- Provide a counterweight to the anti-police rhetoric polluting the public discourse
- Offer news and analysis on the latest issues relevant to the law enforcement community
- To mobilize the law enforcement community and its supporters nationwide
OFFICERS KILLED/DIED IN THE LINE OF DUTY
“The heroic sacrifices made by America’s law enforcement officers and by public servants from around the world have not been in vain. They have made a difference, a difference that will save lives and assure our children a better future in the type of America they deserve to grow up in
— President Ronald Reagan